(Mini spoiler alert! Though if you haven’t seen the film, most of the things I’m going to mention are pretty obvious/predictable right from the start.)
(Is anyone else kind of freaked about by his crazy muscles? Picture source)
Last weekend, Chad and I went with my brother, sister-in-law, and friend to see the new Wolverine movie. My brother was telling me that Hugh Jackman said in an interview that The Wolverine was supposed to give fans the Wolverine they deserved, and one of my coworkers told me the film was mostly set in Japan, so I was excited to see it. Here are 5 things I noticed throughout the film:
1. I was really excited to understand all of the Japanese without subtitles! When the subtitles came on I needed them a few times because they were talking so fast and angry-like, but for the most part I could understand a lot, which made me happy. At the same time, it made me miss Japan tremendously (like I didn’t already, haha).
2. While understanding the Japanese made me happy, I’d have to say a good 30% of the un-subtitled Japanese was just the word gaijin, or foreigner, being thrown around as angry Japanese mafia chased and confronted Wolverine.
3. And speaking of gaijin, Japan is notorious for Japanese women falling for even the nerdiest, jerkiest, weirdest foreign guys, while foreign women tend to loom in the background, feeling like ogres. So it came as no surprise when Mariko slept with Wolverine. Gaijin guy strikes again!
4. And while we’re talking about Mariko, I was surprised no one sat down with the non-Japanese actors to talk about how to pronounce her name. I heard everything from Marko to Mary-ko.
5. Lastly, the bullet train scene was pretty fun, though hardly feasible. I mean, maybe somehow Wolverine’s extra strength and mutant awesomeness allowed him to get by, but how about the mafia guy? Unless he had some super physics-defying powers hidden in his tattoos. Which would be an pretty cool revelation to everyone who knows anything about yakuza.
Two more final notes: 1) What was the point of Viper shedding off her skin only to basically lose her hair? She looked way cooler with reptilian skin, in my opinion. And 2)The after-credits scene starts off really cool with Wolverine and Magneto, but when Xavier comes rolling through like he’s on a game show my brother and sister-in-law just about lost it. We all decided that was probably the best moment in the movie.
Did you see the movie? If so, what did you think?